Motrosa Farm offers beautiful, organic, no-spray Detroit Red beets. In addition to its crispy root, the leaves and stems may also be used for the preparation of recipes.
Here are some serving tips:
- The root may be eaten raw in salads with carrots, cucumbers and cabbage
- Steam small cubes and serve warm with butter.
- Pickled beets are a traditional food down South.
- Sauté the leaves and stems like you would spinach
- Beet juice is a popular health drink.
- In India, the roots are eaten boiled in curries with other vegetables
- In Europe, cooked chunks are enjoyed as side dish with added olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice.
- In Eastern Europe, a soup dish called borscht is prepared with added sour cream
- Betanin pigments, obtained from the plant parts, are being used in food industry as colorants to improve the color of tomato paste, sauces, dessert, jams and jellies, ice cream, sweets etc.
Price: $3.00 per bunch (about 5 beets)